This week, I’ve got my sleeves rolled up and am diving even deeper into writing the new book!
I am loving the challenge of pulling forth and putting down all I’ve discovered and learned about how to create stunning photographs of women. The book I’m writing goes beyond photography , to also include how to help women look and feel great by cultivating their sex appeal and coaching a bit of sensuality in their movements in addition to using your photography skills to capture it all.
As we discussed last week in How to Look Great Naked, cultivating sex appeal and looking great naked is not about crash dieting or Photoshop, but rather is about a woman’s attitude, confidence, playful personality, and feeling good in her own skin.
Honestly, that’s 98% of looking and feeling great naked.
So today’s post contains the other 2% to put you over the top with practical and immediately actionable tips to make you look great naked and boost your confidence for when you want to feel simply amazing in your birthday suit.
How to Look Great Naked, No. 2!
1. Smile and Make Eye Contact
These are two of the most immediate, simple and powerful things you can do (at any given time really). There is nothing quite like the irresistible sex appeal of a confident woman smiling and making eye contact. Nothing else needed. But feel free to read on…
2. Strap on Your High Heels
Want to add a bit more muscle definition to your legs and instantly feel sexier? Strap on a smoking hot pair of high heels! Obviously, heels make you appear taller (and therefore slimmer, if that’s your goal), but shoes with a slender heel that’s at least 2” high also make the calves appear muscular and much more defined. Nude shoes that match your skin tone are a fantastic choice to make your legs look even longer. However, avoid shoes with ankle straps, a square toe, and chunky shoes which all make legs look wider. Note: of course, this effect only applies when you’re standing. But if you ask me, high heels are the perfect accessory for looking great naked, in any position.
3. Style Up A Great ‘Do
Everyone knows a good hair day makes a woman feel amazing, so don’t underestimate what a good ‘do can do. When prancing around naked, it’s the one thing you can wear styled, so invest time or money in making it great. Most men love hair that looks shiny, soft and touchable. No time for a polished style? Go for the sex appeal of bedhead. Run fingers through your roots with a scrubbing motion, use a spray wax, spritz all over hair, and then twirl random sections around your fingers. Naughtiness. (ps. I’m loving big hair. The bigger the hair, the sassier and slimmer my body appears.)
4. Get Glowing Skin
When you’re sporting nothing but your birthday suit, you want to make sure your skin feels and looks great. Moisturizing is key. I love Neutrogena Sesame Oil. Not only do I love how it makes my body glow and feel soft and silky, but I’m crazy about the seductive scent as well. A tip: put it on in the shower so it’s absorbed nicely and you don’t end up greasy. Use a moisturizing lotion on your face, and add a bit of gel stain on your cheeks to get a gorgeous flushed look. Longer term, make sure you’re drinking your 8 glasses a day, exfoliating and moisturizing daily.
Beyond moisturizing, try a tinted moisturizer, self-tanner, or body make-up, which can all hide a multitude of sins, make your bod appear slimmer and give you a healthy glow. Restraint here is a good thing – just enough to give you a healthy glow and make you feel more confident.
5. Find Your Best Light
You can’t underestimate the power of light to flatter a figure. Two things to consider when choosing which light makes you look and feel great naked: the light’s quality and the direction of the source. The most flattering quality of light for your nudeness comes from soft glowing sources, such as a candle, the moon, and pink-tinted bulbs. The least flattering (and frankly, horrifying) light is fluorescent. Yikes.
Ways to create flattering quality of light:
- Install dimmers. So you can adjust the lights to a level that’s most flattering to your skin and that suits your comfort level.
- Try candlelight or firelight. The warm glow makes skin look amazing and casts beautiful shadows, not to mention the inherent romantic appeal. Light as many candles to make the room as dim or bright as would please you.
- Swap out regular light bulbs for pink-tinted bulbs. Pink-tinted light is the most becoming to skin and casts the most flattering shadows.
- Place colored plastic gels (pink or orange) over a lamp. You can purchase gels at photography and art stores, or you can use a sheer fabric.
- Get naked by moonlight. This soft light is another flattering choice with romantic appeal.
- Go au naturale in early morning light. This scenario is a bit brighter for those who are bolder, but still a soft and flattering even light source.
Ways to position light that flatters:
- Avoid overhead light. In terms of placement, a light source from behind you, to the side of you, or in front of you are vastly more flattering than the distorting hideousness of overhead light of any kind. Avoid that at all costs.
- Side light – enhances curves and throws teasing shadows onto other areas. Illuminates less of your body, so it’s great if you’re a bit body conscious and want to have parts of your body “disappear” into darkness. Place lamp to the side of you.
- Back light – is the least illuminating, throwing your bod into silhouette. Place lamp behind you.
6. Practice Great Posture
Good posture can take you a long way and is another instant fix to looking great naked. Poor posture sends the wrong message. Excellent posture not only makes you look taller and leaner, it makes you feel and appear more confident. So when we talked about faking confidence until you have it (Tip #2 from last week’s post), this is a great way to do it – through great posture.
Ways to achieve great posture that flatters:
- Great posture is easy to achieve, but difficult to sustain without constant reminders. Unfortunately most of us go through the day with poor unappealing posture. So practice the following tips while standing in front of the mirror and see how incredibly dramatic the difference is!
- Stand up straight, pull your shoulders back and down, elongate your neck, tilt your head and chin slightly out and down, pull your stomach in and up and let your back settle into a natural but a bit of an extended arch that pushes out (and plays up) both the butt and chest.
- Sit on a diagonal, with a slight twist at the waist instead of facing someone head-on. This will naturally cinch in your waist.
- Place your hands where you want attention to go. If you like your hips, décolletage, or face, put your hands there.
- When standing, turn a bit sideways, shift your weight to the back leg, and put the other leg out in front of the other, knee slightly bent, and toe pointed, lifting your heel.
- If you don’t love your arms, position them so that they are away from your body. For example, placing a hand on your hip immediately thins out your arm.
7. Pay Attention to Details
- Give your hands and feet loving attention. A mani/pedi is a must for good grooming.
- Style up your nether regions – whatever style (or lack thereof) suits you.
- Feel free to accessorize a tiny bit which may make you feel a little less naked, such as a gorgeous statement piece of jewelry on your wrist or around your neck.
- A slightly chill room or glass of ice water will do wonders to keep you, um, standing at attention.
- Lastly, choose make-up to suit your style: minimalism keeps your look au naturale, or you can go bold with smokey smoldering eyes or simply just red hot lips.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below… What’s your single best tip for feeling great in your own skin?
Lots of love and nakedness,
ps. If ya missed it, here are more great tips on How to Look and Feel GREAT Naked!